As an online resource for learning, Udemy has provided learning opportunities since 2010 (with the motto “The Academy of You”). Providing courses that focus on professionals, it has grown to offer over 80,000 courses designed and presented by 35,000 instructors.
While it continues to grow in popularity, you may wonder if Udemy courses are worth it. Let’s take a closer look at their courses in order to provide you with the information you need to make that decision.
We will begin by answering some of the frequently asked questions about Udemy courses.
Are Udemy Certificates Valid?
Udemy does offer certificates for their courses but they are not an accredited institution. The certificate can be used to demonstrate your accomplishment to co-workers, family, friends, and even potential employers. These certificates do not represent formal accreditation, however.
Upon completion of a course, Udemy will place a red or white trophy on the dashboard used for that course, alerting the student that a certificate is ready.
The site generates a “Certificate of Completion” that can be downloaded for printing. It is saved as a .jpg or .pdf file and can be uploaded from Udemy onto social platforms such as Facebook (or employment sites such as LinkedIn).
Please note that this certificate can be accessed from Udemy.com or from their mobile site but cannot be accessed with Apple TV or the mobile app.
Also, students accessing Udemy from Brazil will not receive a certificate for free courses (but they can still get one for courses that they paid for).
It should also be noted that some instructors will also provide an additional certificate for a course that they designed in addition to the completion certificate offered by Udemy. In these cases, students will need to contact the course instructor for details about receiving these.
Are Udemy Courses Accredited?
No, they are not. Udemy is not an accredited institution and their courses are not nationally recognized. It should be noted here that some classes can count towards credits for a technical certificate.
Udemy courses offer students and employers reasonably priced video training, and Udemy attempts to work with companies looking to provide special training for their workforce.
What makes a course accredited?
- It must meet community, enterprise, or industry needs
- It must provide adequate competency and satisfactory assessment
- It is required to meet national quality assurance requirements
This means that an Udemy course completion certificate indicates that you have achieved a level of training in a particular course, but that certificate does not necessarily meet with criteria or standards set out by an official governing agency.
Udemy course certificates can be added to your work portfolio and may be required by your employer. It does not mean that it is formally accredited or that it will be accepted by a potential employer as such.
Do Udemy Courses Expire?
None of the courses offered by Udemy will expire. That means that a student has unlimited access to the course materials for life.
One advantage to lifetime access is that there are no time limits that a student must meet to complete a course. They are able to work at their own pace without the pressure of a limited deadline.
Another benefit to unlimited access is that students will have access to any updated course materials, including lectures that are added after completion. This will help them stay on top of the latest developments that instructors add to their course content.
While other online websites are now offering classes that will not expire, Udemy set this standard when they offered all of their courses with no expiration date. This will include continued access to courses that become unpublished on the site.
Is Udemy for Free?
Udemy charges for access to their online courses. The prices can range from under $10 USD up to $300 USD. Potential students should note.
However, that Udemy is notorious for providing an array of discounts for their online content and that a majority of their classes will range from $10 – $50 USD after online “coupons” are applied.
Prices are set by each instructor for each online course that they design. The instructor and Udemy can offer discounts on a course at any time.
Students who sign up for Udemy’s promotional email list will receive notices of discounts offered for specific courses (as well as discount codes that can be applied to almost any published course).
Students should be aware that listed prices on Udemy.com may be different than those found on mobile apps. The reason for this is that mobile apps are managed and owned by Apple (iOS) and Google Play (Android).
Udemy has no control over these apps, and the companies will usually set their listed prices close to the instructor’s initial listing price.
Udemy attempts to set price tiers based on a country-specific matrix. This will generate costs that better reflect local pricing, instead of basing course costs on USD (U.S. Dollars).
If a student lives in a country that charges a GST or VAT tax, they may be responsible for paying this in addition to the listed cost.
If Udemy lowers the cost of class within 30-days of a student’s purchase, they will honor the lower price and allow the student to receive a refund of the difference.
Does Udemy Offer Refunds?
Yes, Udemy offers a 30-day refund on all of the courses that they offer. There are exceptions, however.
Only courses purchased on Udemy.com or through the Android app are eligible for this refund. Courses purchased through iOS are processed by Apple and Udemy cannot refund these purchases.
Any course purchased through a third party cannot be refunded either, as Udemy does not have the transaction on file.
Refunds can also be denied for the following reasons:
- Refunds requested after 30-days cannot be honored as the instructor has been paid out.
- Refunds may be denied if the student downloaded the entire class content before they asked for a refund.
- Refunds may be denied if a student requests multiple refunds over time, and they may also be suspended if they abuse the refund policy.
A student requesting a refund for a course purchased with Boleto Bancário Purchases needs to contact the Udemy support team and will receive Udemy Credits that will be applied to their account.
If a student’s account is registered in Argentina, Chile, Columbia, Mexico, Peru, or Uruguay will need to follow additional steps to receive refunds for bank transfers or cash payments.
Does Udemy Give Certificates?
Yes, Udemy does offer certificates for every course that is completed. It should be noted that these are not certificates indicating formal accrediting, as Udemy is not an accredited institution.
These “Completion Certificates” only indicate a student’s achievement in finishing the course completely.
Once the course is complete, Udemy will add a red or white trophy icon to the course dashboard. Clicking on this icon will allow the student to directly upload the certificate to social media sites or business-oriented sites such as LinkedIn. The file can also be downloaded in either a .jpg or a .pdf file for printing.
Udemy Pros And Cons
For those looking for the good, and not so good, that Udemy provides we present the following points of consideration:
Large Course Selection
- Large Course Selection – Udemy offers 80,000 courses that are broken down into several subject categories.
Large Pool of Instructors
- Large Pool of Instructors – There are 35,000 instructors with courses on Udemy from around the world.
Multiple Levels of Instruction
- Multiple Levels of Instruction – Many courses are designed for beginners that build up to more advanced applications and understanding. There are also classes that provide professionals with intermediate and advanced course material without introductory content.
- Reasonable Pricing – Set prices and discounts allow most Udemy courses to be offered at prices under $50 USD.
30-Day Refund Window
- 30-Day Refund Window – All courses offered on Udemy come with the option to refund the cost within 30-days if a student is not satisfied with the course.
Unlimited Course Access
- Unlimited Course Access – All Udemy courses come with access that does not expire, even for courses that later become unlisted on the site.
Work at Your Own Pace
- Work at Your Own Pace – Courses on Udemy do not have a time limit, allowing each student to work at their own pace.
- Updated Materials – Instructors constantly update course content, keeping material relevant with the latest data and techniques covered in-class.
- Course Interaction – Courses make use of exercises and other interactive content to keep students involved. Instructors and students have a variety of ways to communicate including email and chats or message boards.
Class and Instructor Ratings
- Class and Instructor Ratings – These allow potential students to research the course before purchase as well as provide them with instructor feedback from previous students.
Courses Are Not Accredited
- Courses Are Not Accredited – The courses offered on Udemy are not formally accredited, which may limit their usefulness for students looking to gain credits for college. Even courses offered through a company may not hold weight with other employers in the field.
Variance In Instructor Experience
- Variance In Instructor Experience – While many of the instructors possess degrees and years of field and job experience, there is a wide range of qualifications that the instructors on Udemy can provide. This may require additional research by some potential students.
Variance In Course Material Quality
- Variance In Course Material Quality – Some students have indicated in reviews that the audio and/or video quality of lectures can vary widely between instructors. This may be an issue in some classes for students that have hearing or visual impairments, or with students with less-than-ideal monitors or speakers.
Limited Student Interaction With Instructors
- Limited Student Interaction With Instructors – Online courses provide limited student/instructor interaction, and Udemy is no exception. Some of the instructors work harder to communicate with their students than others, and factors including the number of courses and students can alter this as well.
>>You might also be interested in Most Popular Udemy Courses in 2018